Friday, August 18, 2006

Hummingbird


SOLD
This is a Native American symbol for the hummingbird, which symbolizes devotion, permanence and eternity. I am currently involved in a painting project for a guest bedroom with a Native American theme, so I threw in this little totem for luck and happiness. I liked the soft swirls so much that I decided to use it for today's painting. The red background stands for passion; the hummingbird is a fierce defender of it's mate and territory, despite it's small size.


Title: Hummingbird
Date: 8/18/06
Description: 8"x10" acrylic on canvas panel

Please contact me at christina.wilson@cox.net with inquiries or purchase requests.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Christina,

Love your art; however, the humming bird is NOT a "fierce defender of its mate." They don't even mate for the afternoon; and have no interest in one another except for procreation.

Christina said...

I'm not a hummingbird expert so I double checked my facts. I am compulsively driven to prove myself at least somewhat correct!

Adult males establish territories from which they drive away intruders in a brief but intense physical battle.

An adult male also will drive away any female until she mates with him, after which she typically gets "free passage". This is beneficial because when she is sitting on eggs or chicks it is important that she not be off them too long searching for food, or her offspring may die.